I’m an old hand at the riding to work thing. But when I was just starting out there was a lot of things to think about and some of them seemed like real impediments. So here is a list of things to consider when you are wanting to try out riding to work. After the cut…..
Quick Bike Check
Do you have:
- working brakes?
- a bell?
- lights (if required)?
- an approved helmet
- are you familiar with the chosen route?
- are you able to ride to work, do a days work and ride home?
- consider a test run on a non work day if you haven’t ridden the route before
- have you identified any particularly hazardous locations? tricky corners, pot holes, train tracks, traffic lights, blind corners, limited road shoulder, shared use areas
- can these hazards be avoided by changing the route?
- if you live quite far from work, consider using your bike plus the car or public transport
- does your public transport allow bicycles?
- does your bike have a basket or pannier to carry your stuff?
- do you have a backpack / satchel to carry your stuff?
- have you tried riding with these bags before?
- is you bag weather proof in case it rains?
- do you feel fit and well?
- are you familiar with the road rules?
- are you confident operating your bike?
- do you want to wear your work clothes on the bike?
- can you transport your work clothes?
- how crushable are your work clothes?
- do you require an iron?
- how do you feel about getting wet in your riding clothes?
- do you require rain gear?
End of Trip Facilities
- do they exist?
- where are they located? out in the elements, undercover car park, locked car park
- what type are they? front wheel in, frame loops (best)
- what type of lock(s) will be required? cable lock (required for front wheel racks), U lock (best security but only suitable for frame loops or poles), both
- do you have any accessories that are easily removed or require securing?
- what alternatives do you have? store room / office / parking lot / basement / shed
- is it safe to leave the bike there for an extended period? is access limited? CCTV? high traffic?
- will you require a shower?
- does a shower exist?
- do you have shower equipment at work? towel, soap, toothbrush, etc
- do you have access to a location to store these items?